Element 1: Discipleship & Pastoral Care (35%)
Responsibility: Assisting the Executive Director in providing pastoral care, vision, discipleship, and leadership development to students.
- Coordinate the Wednesday evening large group program.
- Teach small groups and provide one-on-one discipleship as needed.
- Assist the Executive Director in oversight of the student leadership program.
- Provide pre-marital counseling.
- Engage in one-on-one counseling as needed.
- Engage in relationship-building with students through fun & fellowship activities.
- Mentor and develop student leadership and interns through small groups, discipleship, missions, etc.
Element 2: Sermon Preparation and Worship Planning (15%)
Responsibility: Minister to the students and broader community through preaching.
- Sermon preparation.
- Help coordinate the student worship team to plan worship music and other elements of the worship service.
- Preach as needed during the fall and spring semesters for the Sunday evening worship service.
Element 3: Program Planning (15%)
Responsibility: Assisting the Executive Director and working with students to plan programs and activities.
- Solicit student ideas and interests in order to create engaging and diverse large group experiences.
- Research and contact speakers or workshop leaders when appropriate.
- Obtain, adapt, or create curriculum suitable to Wesley Foundation mission and vision.
- Design experience and programs that meet the criteria set out by the Lilly Endowment for the Theological Exploration of Vocation.
- Coordinate menus for large meals, shop for groceries, and cook on an as-needed basis.
Element 4: Administration and Resource Development (35%)
Responsibility: Assisting the Executive Director in administrative duties.
- Assist in the supervision, development, and vision of the Lilly Endowment grant programs.
- Assist in addressing student personnel issues.
- Meet with the Board of Directors.
- Meet weekly with Executive Director for planning and supervision.
- Assist in overseeing the student Resident Fellows program.
- Assist in student recruitment and overseeing the Student Internship Program.
- Attend UTK Campus Ministers Council meetings regularly to build ecumenical relationship and connect students across denominational lines.
- Speak on behalf of UTK Wesley Foundation to groups from the UTK community, United Methodist Church community, and community at large.
- A calling from God to serve specifically in campus ministry for the next season of life.
- Commissioned elder or deacon in the UMC.
- Demonstrated record of growth in young adult ministry.
- Comfortable with public speaking including worship services, donor relations, and community outreach.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to create, plan, organize and implement Bible studies and programs.
- Demonstrated ability to create, plan, organize fund raising initiatives.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Strong proficiency with social media (Facebook, Twitter, and Snapchat.)
- Commitment to healthy pastor-student relationship boundaries and practices.
- Ability to form and maintain professional relationships.
- Possess excellent teamwork and communication skills.
- Ability to work flexible hours in a fluid environment.
- Current driver’s license and automobile insurance coverage.
- Pass criminal background check.
- Master of Divinity from a UMC accredited seminary.
- Ordained elder or deacon in the UMC.
- Experience with website management.
- Experience in marketing.
- Experience in fund raising.
- Experience with grant writing and oversight.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail with high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to establish safe and healthy relationships while maintaining boundaries and modeling appropriate behavior.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Must be goal-oriented, self-starter and have the willingness and maturity to go beyond prescribed work and time schedules to accomplish tasks.
- Professional appearance and manner.
- Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 10 lbs.
- Communications skills using the spoken word.
- Ability to see within normal parameters.
- Ability to hear with normal range.
- Ability to move about.
Job Type: Full-time
Job Location: Knoxville, TN
Salary: Based on Experience
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Application Process: Please send cover letter, resume, and list of three references via email to: